Lentil & Barley Casserole
A simple hearty stew to warm you up on cold evenings.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 50 mins
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup swede, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, cut into large chunks
- A couple of sprigs of rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder
- 75g/2.6oz mushrooms, roughly cut
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 2 tsp gravy powder
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the carrot, swede, and sweet potato and continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes or until the vegetable are slightly soft.
- Stir through the rosemary, thyme and tomato paste.
- Pour in the water and add the lentils, pearl barley, stock powder, gravy powder and mushrooms and season with a little pepper.
- Bring to the boil then turn the heat to a low simmer and leave for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the stew doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Add the chopped green beans 10 minutes before the end of cooking. Taste the stew and season more if necessary, then it’s ready to serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!