Halloumi & Vegetable Open Tart
This recipe is super quick to whip up for a delicious dinner when you just don't have the time or energy to spend a lot of time cooking. Vegan & Nut-Free.
This recipe is by Mira, also known as The Vegan Egg!
The recipe serves 1, but you can easily increase the quantities to make as many servings as you need. We’ve used mushrooms & zucchini for our vegetables, but any vegetables will work, so just use whatever veggies you’ve got left over, or your personal favourites. You can also play around with different herbs and spices to make this recipe your own.
1/2 Block of Hello Friend Foods halloumi
1 Sheet of vegan puff pastry
1-2 Zucchinis (depending on their size)
4-5 Large mushrooms (approx. 300g / 10.5oz)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 – 2 tsp of Dried Italian herbs
At this point, add your favourite dip to spread onto the puff pastry before adding the veggies on top (you can even use a pizza sauce or pesto for this – we used a beetroot dip)
- If you’re using frozen puff pastry, take out your sheet of puff pastry goodness and let it sit on your counter to defrost while you prep your veggies.
- Chop up all your veggies & cube your haloumi.
- In a pan, saute your onion until translucent. Add your mushrooms and let them cook for 5 – 10 min.
- Now add your halloumi & zucchini and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Take your now defrosted puff pastry sheet and spread your dip all over it – leaving a 1cm space around the outside.
- Fold over the edges of the puff pastry into the middle. You’re basically creating a tiny (approx. 0.5 cm) ring/barrier around the outside. (this is mostly for aesthetic purposes so feel free to leave out this step)
- Add your veggie & cheese mixture on top
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 min at 170°C / 340°F