Greek Vegan Kourambiedes (Κουραμπιέδες)
Kourambiedes (κουραμπιέδες) are Greek shortbread cookies traditionally made during Christmas time. You will love the divine, melt in your mouth texture of these sweet cookies.
Serves 30 | Prep time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 550g plain flour
- 200g vegan butter
- 100g coconut oil (not melted)
- 100g powdered sugar (+ extra for dusting)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- (optional – roasted almond flakes)
- Using either a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer and a large bowl, beat the vegan butter, coconut oil and powdered sugar on a high setting. Do this for 20 minutes to achieve a soft, fluffy mixture, stopping regularly to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour slowly, a few spoonfuls at a time, beating at a lower speed. Halfway through add in the baking powder and vanilla extract.
- Optional – If using the almonds, add them in the mix and beat for a couple of minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170C /338F (or if your oven is not as hot as it should be, set to 180C/356F), and line your baking trays with baking paper.
- The mixture will be crumbly, so use the palms of your hands to press the dough and form round cookie shapes about 5cm (2in) wide and 2cm (under 1in) tall.
- Bake the shortbread cookies for 20-25 minutes only.
- Allow to completely cool on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl pour some powdered sugar in then dip each cookie and cover with the sugar.
- Arrange the kourambiedes on a platter then using a sieve, sprinkle more powdered sugar on top. Ready to serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!