Drizzle creamy peanut sauce over tempeh and lightly steamed vegetables for this delicious staple of Indonesian cuisine.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 100g/3.52oz tempeh
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1/4 cup green beans, sliced
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut in thin slices
- 1/2 cup Chinese cabbage (wom bok), sliced
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tsp sweet soy sauce (or use regular soy sauce plus 1 tsp sugar)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp low fat coconut milk or water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Red chilli flakes to taste
- For the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. (Add water if too thick.) Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into thin slices and fry in a little neutral oil (e.g. grapeseed or canola) and soy sauce until crisp. Set aside.
- Place potato cubes in a steamer basket. Steam, covered, over boiling water for 5 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add beans and carrots. Steam, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and bean sprouts. Steam, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until cabbage just begins to wilt.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving plate. Place tempeh over vegetables. Drizzle with peanut sauce.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Made this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it, I added fresh coriander and sliced fresh chillies as garnish,
Coriander and fresh chillies are a perfect garnish for the Gado Gado. Good thinking?.
Really delicious. Loved the peanut sauce :)