Divine Yellow Dahl
Simple and authentic! Best served with rice and flat bread.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils (mung dahl)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups cooked basmati rice
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- 4 tsp shredded Coconut
- Pappadums & vegan roti bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan, stir in the cumin seeds, coriander, fenugreek, chilli flakes, and cook for a minute. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and salt and cook another minute
- Add the ginger and turmeric and stir briefly. Next add the lentil. Stir to cover in spices and then add the vegetable stock and water.
- Bring up to the boil, reduce the heat and then simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the lentils and soft, about 25 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl hot with the rice, coriander leaves, shredded coconut, pappadums and roti bread.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!