Creamy Vegan Butter Chicken
A very easy recipe for vegan butter chicken, made with tofu and a simple vegan butter chicken sauce.
For the tofu:
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu (450g)
- 2 tbsp neutral oil avocado oil or coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp sea salt finely ground
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp neutral oil avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes 28 fl oz/795 ml
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 can coconut milk (14 fl oz/400 ml)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- cooked rice or naan bread
- fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Drain extra firm tofu and rinse well. Press tofu by wrapping in a clean tea towel and placing a few heavy books on top. Use your backsplash to secure books in place. Press for 10 minutes. Then unwrap tofu and cut into bite-sized cubes.
- In a mixing bowl combine tofu, oil, corn starch, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Line a baking tray with parchment and transfer tofu cubes onto tray spreading out so there aren’t any clumps. Bake for 20-25 mins, or until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile add diced onions, garlic and neutral oil to a deep skillet. Bring to medium heat and cook until onion turns transluscent (about 10 mins).
- Pour diced tomatoes, tomato paste and freshly grated ginger. Then season with garam masala, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, and sea salt.
- Add coconut milk and baked tofu and bring to a low simmer. Finally, add cayenne pepper flakes for heat, and maple syrup for sweetness.
- Scoop vegan butter chicken over cooked rice, or serve with naan bread. Sprinkle with fresh coriander.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
My name is Hannah and I started this blog to bring you plant-based recipes worth sharing. My recipes are intended for everyone to enjoy; whether you’re vegan, or simply trying to incorporate more plants into your diet. See all recipes by Hannah