Cold Soba Noodle Salad Bowl with Fried Tofu and Miso Dressing
This recipe uses Shiro miso, which is a sweet rice miso with a beautifully delicate flavour. You can buy it at health food stores or Asian food stores on the shelf, but you'll need to refrigerate it after you've opened it. Miso is made from fermented soy beans, and contains millions of probiotic bacteria which help maintain gut health. Soba are Japanese noodles made with buckwheat flour, which is a gluten-free pseduo-grain. If you're gluten-free or wheat-free you'll need to source soba made from 100% buckwheat flour from an Asian food store or health food store, as the standard soba from the supermarket contain a substantial amount of wheat flour. It's a really quick and nutritious mid-week meal, and I hope you enjoy it. Lucy's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1v8m90i
Ingredients (serves 2 people):
- 300g / 10.6oz tofu (medium-firm works well for this recipe)
- Arrowroot flour for dusting the tofu in
- Oil for frying
- 2x bundles (usually 90g / 3.2oz each) of soba noodles (made with buckwheat flour)
- Sliced raw vegetables – I used spring onion, red cabbage, carrot and -snow peas
- Sesame seeds (black or white or both)
- Sesame oil
SHIRO MISO DRESSING:
- 1 tbsp shiro miso
- 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 3 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
1. Slice the tofu into 1cm slices and coat with arrowroot flour.
2. Heat some oil in a small frying pan and fry the tofu until it’s golden-brown and crispy.
3. Boil a large saucepan of water and when boiling, add the soba. Cook according to the packet instructions (it usually only takes 4 minutes or so).
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and drain the soba. Run the soba under cold water while still in the colander/strainer to cool them down. Add 1 tsp of sesame oil and stir through the noodles.
5. Assemble the salad bowl with the sliced vegetables, noodles and tofu. Top with black/white sesame seeds and drizzle the dressing over the bowl.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!