Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake
Impress your guests this festive season with this chocolate cherry mousse cake that will melt in your mouth.
- 1 packet of Arnotts Chocolate Ripple Biscuits
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tub Tofutti cream ‘cheese’
- 1 cup vegan cream (sweetened and whippable)
- 100g/3.2oz plain chocolate
- 150g/5.3oz fresh cherries- pitted. Extra cherries for decoration.
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- You will need a 20cm loose bottom (or springform) cake tin.
- Crush biscuits until they resemble breadcrumbs. This is easiest in a food processor, but you could place in a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin or heavy pan. Ensure there are no large lumps leftover. Stir in the ground almonds and 1/3 cup melted margarine. If the mixture is a little dry then add a little more.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom and sides of the cake tin. Put in the fridge to chill.
- Melt the plain chocolate (I do this in a microwave) and then leave to cool for a minute while you prepare the rest of the filling.
- Place the cream into a large bowl and whip until thick (easiest with an electric whisk). Then add the cream ‘cheese’ and melted chocolate and mix thoroughly. Add the pitted cherries.
- Pour the mixture into the biscuit base and chill for at least an hour.
- Decorate with extra cherries and dust with icing sugar. You could also grate over a little extra chocolate.
Recipe by Jo Osborne
Photo by Amrita Bala