Vegan Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake
Impress your guests this festive season with this chocolate cherry mousse cake that will melt in your mouth. Recipe by Jo Osborne.
Serves 8 | Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 1 hour to chill
- 1 packet of Arnotts Chocolate Ripple Biscuits (or vegan crunchy chocolate cookies)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tub Tofutti cream ‘cheese’ (or vegan cream cheese of choice)
- 1 cup vegan cream (sweetened and whippable)
- 100g/3.2oz plain vegan chocolate
- 150g/5.3oz fresh cherries – pitted. Extra cherries for decoration
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- You will need a 20cm loose bottom (or springform) cake tin
- Crush biscuits/cookies until they resemble breadcrumbs. This is easiest in a food processor, but you could place in a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin or heavy pan. Ensure there are no large lumps leftover. Stir in the ground almonds and 1/3 cup melted margarine. If the mixture is a little dry then add a little more.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom and sides of the cake tin. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Melt the plain vegan chocolate (I do this in a microwave or use a bain-marie) and then leave to cool for a minute while you prepare the rest of the filling.
- Place the cream into a large bowl and whip until thick (easiest with an electric whisk). Then add the cream ‘cheese’ and melted chocolate and mix thoroughly. Add the pitted cherries.
- Pour the mixture onto the biscuit base and chill for at least an hour.
- Decorate with extra cherries and dust with icing sugar. You could also grate over a little extra chocolate.
Photo by Amrita Bala
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!