Chilli Non Carne
This simple and delicious classic is sure to please.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1/4 green capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1/4 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked/canned pinto or kidney beans
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder (optional)
- Iodised salt to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Pinch iodised salt
- 1 Tbsp plain flour (use GF cornflour for GF option)
- 1/4 cup fortified soy milk
- Place all the ground spices in a bowl and mix together well to make your spice mix.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a large saucepan until soft. Add the carrot, zucchini, capsicum and continue frying until the vegetables start to soften. Add the spice mix and cook. Stir for a further minute or two to allow the spices to release their aroma.
- Add the canned tomatoes, pinto beans, water, tomato paste and (optional) stock powder.
- Continue cooking on a low heat (lightly simmering) for about 10 minutes. Taste and add further seasoning if required.
- While the chilli is simmering, make the cheesy sauce: mix all the ingredients together and ensure there are no lumps. Heat gently while stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Serve the chilli with baked potato, a cob of corn and cover with the cheesy sauce.
- 1 cob of corn (steamed or microwaved for 3 minutes with husk on)
- 1 baked potato
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!