Avocado Mung Bean Jelly Noodle Salad
"This is probably one of my favourite summer cold dishes at all times. It's super low in calories, also gluten-free but bursting with flavours (that garlicky, spicy savoury salad dressing with fresh herbs and toasted nuts…yum!)." Recipe by Shu-Chun of Joyful Dumplings.
- 1/2 Avocado (sliced)
- 100g Mung bean starch
- 900ml Water
- 2 Tbsp Crushed garlic
- 150g Cucumber
- 100g Carrot
- 2 Tbsp Sesame seeds (or any kind of crushed nut)
- 2 Tbsp Black vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Homemade chilli oil (or store bought chilli oil)
- 1/4 tsp Sichuan pepper ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
First, make the mung bean jelly noodle as it takes at least 2-3 hours to set.
- Pour 300 ml water in a mixing bowl, then mix with 100g mung bean starch.
- Stir vigorously until no lumps can be seen.
- Pour the rest 600 ml water into a sauce pan, heat up the water to approx. 60°C.
- Start pouring in the mixture and keep whisking.
- Cook the mixture on low heat until the colour becomes transparent, then take off heat.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased mould, set aside at room temperature or in a fridge for few hours until it sets.
Make the dressing
- Add and mix together the light soy sauce, black vinegar, some water, chilli oil, ground Sichuan pepper, sesame oil, crushed garlic and salt.
Assemble the salad
- When jelly noodle is completely set, flip it over onto a cutting board.
- Cut noodles into desired shape and size.
- Place carrot, cucumber and avocado on the top of the salad.
- Drizzle with salad dressing.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh herbs.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!