Vegan Po’ Boy
“You’re going to need some extra napkins for this one! This Vegan Roast Beef Po’ Boy is the sandwich you’ve been missing. It’s messy, dripping with flavorful gravy, perfect amount of spicy, meaty, and so damn good!” ~ Liv
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 mins + overnight | Cooking time: 45 mins
Vegan Roast Beef
- 3 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cups Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Vegan ‘beef-style’ Broth
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 2 cups Vegan ‘beef-style’ Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Louisiana-Style Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar
Po’ Boy Extras
- French Bread or Bread of Choice
- Shredded Lettuce
- Tomato Slices
- Pickle Slices
- Vegan Mayonnaise
NOTE: The vegan roast beef must be made the night before for best results. It takes a few minutes to pull together and needs to bake for 90 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Make the Vegan Roast Beef
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and black pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth (vegan ‘beef-style’), olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and knead the dough for a few minutes. It should be slippery but not dry. If it’s too wet, add more vital wheat gluten tbsp by tbsp.
- Roll the seitan dough into a long log. Roughly 5 by 10. Wrap tightly in parchment paper and twist the sides and tuck them under the bottom of the loaf.
- Place the wrapped loaf on a baking tray and bake for 90 minutes. Once done, it should feel firm. Refrigerate overnight.
Make the Gravy
- Cut the seitan loaf in half. Put 1 half away and thinly slice the other half. Make these slices as thin as possible and don’t worry about them all being the same length. Set aside.
- Mince the onion. Place in a large pan over medium heat with a pinch of salt. Cook onions until brown and caramelised, about 20-25 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent burning.
- Once onions are caramelised, add minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes. Then, add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the flour and mix until no raw flour is visible. Next, add nutritional yeast and creole seasoning. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegan ‘beef-style’ broth, water, vegan Worcestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce, and sugar to the pan and whisk until incorporated. Bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, reduce heat to a simmer and add thinly sliced vegan roast beef. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes until gravy has thickened.
- Toast bread, if desired. Shred lettuce, slice tomatoes, and pickles.
- Spread a good amount of vegan mayo on the bread and top with vegan roast beef, lettuce, tomato, and pickle slices. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi! My name is Liv and I'm the creator of Liv Vegan Strong. I'm 23 years old and currently live in New York City. I went vegan almost 10 years ago and had absolutely no idea what I was doing or where to begin. See all recipes by Liv