Have a taste of Mexico with these easy to prepare vegan nachos.
Serves 3 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 100 grams vegan mince (store bought or 1/3 cup textured vegetable protein)
- 1 pack corn chips
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado + lime juice (one wedge)
- 2 cups vegan cheese sauce (make your own, see recipe below, or use store bought eg: The Alternative Dairy Co)
- Handful spring onion, chopped
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups soy milk
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbs plain flour
- 1/2 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- Mince: (a) If using the store bought vegan mince add it in a pan with 400ml water. Mix and stir, cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. (b) If using TVP for the mince, rehydrate with the same amount of boiled water as the TVP (use 1:1 ratio), dissolve half a vegetable stock cube and any other seasonings of your choice, stir well and leave for about 10 minutes. Heat a little oil in a pan and sauté the mince for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- If using store bought vegan cheese sauce heat it in the microwave or follow the recipe below to make your own.
- Make your guacamole by mashing the avocado and season with the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble your nacho bowls by adding corn chips, the cooked mince, salsa, cheese sauce, cherry tomatoes and the guacamole. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
Makes 2 cups
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium-to-high.
- Once the oil heats up, stir in the flour, and stir continuously.
- Add in the soy milk and continue stirring briskly. Can use a hand whisk to help prevent any lumps from forming.
- Keep stirring for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Once it has reached the desired creamy consistency, remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I'm Eden. I'm an Australian food blogger from Sydney but now living in the cold Snowy Mountains of Australia. I've been vegan for 6 years and I love creating really delicious but simple recipes. I hope to inspire others with my easy to follow recipes and show them how fun eating vegan and plant-based can be. See all recipes by Eden