Vegan French Toast
These golden slices of vegan French toast are so easy to make, and you’ll be delighted with the result.
- 8 – 10 slices of bread
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- Black pepper
- Kala namak (black salt)
- Sunflower oil
- In a bowl add the soy milk and all-purpose flour. Mix well until you have a uniform batter. Add the corn flour and chickpea flour; mix well.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and stir gently with a whisk until it’s incorporated into the mixture. Set the bowl aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the salt to the batter then mix.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add a little sunflower oil. Once warm, fully dip the slices one by one into the batter then place them in the pan until they turn brown (about 3 minutes). Turn them onto their other side and sprinkle with a little kala namak and black pepper. Once the slice is ready, sprinkle the other side with kala namak.
- Transfer to a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. If you like, you can sprinkle more of the black salt for a more intense eggy taste.
– Avoid putting the kala namak in the batter because the more it is cooked, the more it loses its flavour.
– Kala namak can be found in specialty and Asian grocery stores, as well as health shops.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Konstantinos is the owner and creator of the vegan food blog Beets Me. He started cooking at the very young age of 9. And though at first he followed a career at art and design his passion for cooking won him over. After going vegan back in 2008, he began experimenting with all the new ingredients he was learning about at the time and started working on new recipes or trying to veganize traditional Greek recipes. See all recipes by Konstantinos