Vegan Chocolate Marble Bread
A soft & fluffy loaf of bread studded with swirls of rich, sweet chocolate. An undetectably vegan and wholesomely delicious breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp vital wheat gluten* optional
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 2 tbsp oil**
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 52 grams dark chocolate*** melted
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk room temperature
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Mix flours, gluten, salt, sugar, and instant yeast in a large bowl. Stir in milk and oil till combined, then turn out onto a floured surface.
- Knead with your hands for about 10-15 minutes, adding flour if needed. When ready, the dough should be smooth and just slightly sticky, but it shouldn’t stick to your hands. Check out these tips for checking if your dough is sufficiently kneaded.
- Roll your dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl. Place a tea towel or saran wrap over the bowl and let the dough rest until doubled in size. This could take anywhere from 1-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate sheet. Mix together cocoa powder and sugar. Add melted chocolate and milk.
- Place mixture in between two pieces of wax paper or saran wrap. Fold the edges of the paper into a square shape around the chocolate mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll the mixture out into the square. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To test if it the bread dough is done proofing, poke a hole in the center of the dough with your finger. If the hole doesn’t close back up, it is ready.
- Take the chocolate sheet out from the fridge. Punch down the dough and flip onto a non-stick or floured surface. Roll out into a rectangle and place the chocolate sheet in the center. Fold the rectangle into thirds, with one layer on top of the other. Roll out, then fold into thirds again. Cover in wax paper or saran wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Cut into 6 vertical strips, but don’t cut all the way through the dough. Leave about an inch at the top uncut. Braid the strips into a loaf. Place in parchment-lined loaf pan, cover with saran wrap or towel, and let the dough rest until doubled in size. This could take 1-4 hours, depending on temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the loaf with the “egg” wash. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from loaf pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hello friends! Welcome to Ellie Likes Cooking. I’m so happy you stumbled upon my little creative space on the internet See all recipes by Ellie