Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Schnitzel
This schnitzel is high in fibre and a good source of antioxidants, thanks to cauliflower! It's also delicious! Recipe by Tully.
Serves 2 | Prep: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1/3 cup vegan BBQ sauce (most of them are vegan, but check the packaging)
- 1/3 cup store-bought vegan Aioli or garlic mayonnaise
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs (most brands are vegan)
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp oil for frying
Mix the crumbing ingredients in a flat tray and leave aside.
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC/350ºF
- Remove the outside leaves of cauliflower. Keep the centre stem intact.
- Slice the cauliflower in 2 equal halves, and cut out a thick slice about 3-4 cm thick from the biggest side of each half.*
- Place the BBQ sauce in a flat bowl and coat the sliced cauliflower pieces one at a time and set aside. Get the sauce into the nooks and crannies, and if needed add more sauce.
- Repeat the process but this time with the Aioli.
- Place the ‘Schnitzels’ in the crumbing mixture and press down firmly on each side to cover in breadcrumbs.
- Heat up oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the ‘Schnitzels’ for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Top them with chopped tomatoes and vegan cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked but is still firm.
Note: *If you can get thick slices from the remaining cauliflower, make more schnitzels. If they fall apart, then cut them in florets, follow the above recipe and call it ‘Cheesy Cauliflower Bites.’
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
My name is Tully, the creator of @tullyzkitchen. I turned vegan in 2017 after watching the documentary 'What The Health' and ironically my decision was not for health at all. It was compassion for animals. At the time my partner and I chose to go vegan, the challenge was to bridge a gap between our lifestyle choices when we visited family and friends. All of a sudden, we were the couple with a bread roll and plain pasta sitting at the end of the table.
See all recipes by Tully