Vegan Cannelloni with Spinach
The cannelloni are filled with a creamy mixture of spinach and cashew cream, which causes this irresistible, velvety taste. This dish is prepared quickly and also great for guests, because you can prepare it well.
- 100 gr (3/4 cup) cashews
- 300 ml (1 1/3 cup) water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 400 gr (14 oz.) spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 can (approx. 280 gr / 10 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1-2 tsp italian herbs
- 12-16 cannelloni noodles
- 2-3 Tbsp vegan grated cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan cream (or keep some of the cashew cream)
- Cashew cream: Soak the cashews in water the night before (alternatively in hot water for 30 minutes).Pour out the soaking water and mix the cashews along with all other ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until it becomes a very smooth cream and season it with salt and pepper.
- Spinach: Wash and roughly chop the spinach. Finely chop onions and garlic and sauté them in oil until glazed.
- Add the spinach and steam for about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the cashew cream, mix everything well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Put the tomatoes in a casserole and season them with salt, pepper and Italian herbs.
- Fill the cannelloni with the spinach cream mixture and place them in the tomato sauce .
- Mix cheese and cream and add in on top of the noodles. Bake at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Freistyle is a food, travel and lifestyle blog, where I share my passion for healthy food and plant based recipes – but also pursuing my other passions like traveling with the family, styling and photography and living a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. See all recipes by Verena