My vegan take on "fish fingers". This is another 'family dinner' suitable for 9 months and over Maddie's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1vyGesd
Ingredients (makes approximately 10):
- 400g / 14oz tofu
- 2 tsp egg replacer, I use Orgran No Egg
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 40g / 1.4oz oats
- 40g 1.4oz wholemeal breadcrumbs, homemade or bought
- 1/2 tsp salt:
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- Slice the tofu into sticks or fingers then place into paper towel to drain any excess moisture.
- Combine the egg replacer and water and set aside. Place the flour in a separate bowl. In another bowl combine the oats, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper.
- Take a stick of tofu from the paper towel. Roll it in flour, then the ‘no egg’, then the oats and breadcrumbs making sure it has a really good coating. Repeat with the rest of the tofu.
- Place the oil in a frying pan and wait until it’s nice and hot. Put the tofu in, without crowding the pan and cook until golden brown on all sides, a couple of minutes each side. Use a little more oil if you need to. You could oven bake these as well to avoid using the oil.
I served these with steamed veg and a little lemon mayo (literally vegan mayonnaise with a good squeeze of lemon juice).
Any left overs are great lunch box snacks.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!