Tofu and Mushroom Omelette
From Zoe's food journal.
Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 450g / 16oz of tofu
- little bit of water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (aka. nooch)
- half a small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- half a zucchini
- mushrooms (as many as you want)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- sprinkle of paprika
- salt & pepper
- optional herbs, spices and liquid smoke
- optional vegan cheese
- Put 450g / 16oz of firm tofu (you can use a softer one and you won’t need as much water) in the food processor (a blender works fine too) and process it until it is starting to go crumbly.
- Add a little bit of water until it is like a very thick cream then add about a quarter cup of nutritional yeast (or ‘nooch’ as some call it!) and blend the mixture again (often I add vegan cheese if I have some handy).
- Add salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon of turmeric and any other of your favourite spices or herbs- normally I would add a drop of liquid smoke but I couldn’t find it in my messy cupboard!
- Sauté some onion and 2 cloves of garlic with half a zucchini until soft. You can either roast your mushrooms or you could sauté them with the zucchini, garlic and onion.
- Pour the tofu mix into a cast iron pan (or any baking pan lined with baking paper) and then place the veggies on top and gently mix in. I sprinkled a little smoked paprika on top but any spice you like will work beautifully.
- I was in a rush for it to cook as my partner was almost home so I cranked the oven to 220C / 430F and it was ready in under 20 mins, as soon as it starts to brown it is ready!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
BreakfastLunchDinnerHolidayGluten FreeLow Carb
Great recipe, I did it in the frying pan but could have done with cooking it for longer.
Glad you liked it!