The Creamiest Vegan Ice Cream
You wouldn’t believe us if we told you this delicious ice cream is made from sweet potatoes! You have to make it to believe it!
- 1/3 cup of mashed purple sweet potatoes (1 medium size uncooked sweet potato)
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut nectar
- Solids of 1 coconut milk can (full fat)
- 2 tsp spiced rum
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Coconut whip as topping
- First boil the sweet potato in a small pot, covering it with enough water, and let it simmer on low heat, covered until cooked.
- Add all ingredients except rum into a high-speed blender (add only the fat of the coconut milk, preserving the watery milk for later use).
- Blend at speed 7 if using a Vitamix until smooth, then blend at speed 10 for 5 minutes, or until it thickens. If not using a Vitamix, just blend at medium speed then high speed.
- Add the rum & blend briefly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream container (I use bread baking pans lined with parchment paper).
- Add 2 Tbsp of coconut whip cream in the middle and create some swirls using a chopstick.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- The ice cream will stay soft and you will be surprised there are no ice crystals, just soft creamy ice cream that tastes amazing.
- Serve in a bowl or in ice cream cones and top with more coconut whip cream.
Nathalie is a vegan chef and holistic health coach with a master's degree in clinical psychology. She is on a worldwide mission to empower women to love themselves unconditionally, through healing their relationship with food and other healthy rituals. See all recipes by Nathalie