Szechuan Green Beans
If you love green beans, be sure to save this recipe by the incredible Woon Heng!
- 1 lb green beans
- 8oz firm tofu – drained, mashed, pan-fried & lightly seasoned with salt
- 3 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 3 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 3 dried/fresh chilli – seeds removed, softened & cut in half
- oil, toasted sesame oil, salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon mushroom oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch green beans quickly in hot water for 1 min. Drain green beans & wipe dry with a paper towel.
- Place green beans in a heated non-stick pan with 2 teaspoons of oil. While turning the beans constantly, pan-fry green beans over low-med heat until the skin is slightly blistered or wrinkly, about 8 mins.
- Be sure to keep the beans in a single layer for even cooking time. Transfer cooked beans to a plate.
- Using the same pan, add 1 teaspoon oil, then sauté ginger & garlic until fragrant. Add dried chilli, tofu & continue to cook for another minute, season with a pinch of salt.
- Then, add in the beans & ingredients for the sauce. Continue to sauté until beans are well coated with sauce or until the sugar has melted. Season accordingly & add a swirl of toasted sesame oil before serving.
- Serve warm with your favourite rice/grain.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!