Sushi Donuts are a fun and easy way of enjoying Sushi without all the rolling and can be made sweet or savory!
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- coconut oil for moulding
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- tamari to dip (for savoury sushi donuts)
- 1/2 can coconut milk to dip (for sweet sushi donuts)
- 1 tbsp agave to dip (for sweet sushi donuts)
- Add water and rice to a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, cover with a lid, and cook for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine rice vinegar, sugar, salt and sesame oil. Bring to low heat and stir to combine.
- When rice is cooked remove pour in the liquid mixture in batches, stirring rice to combine.
- Cover rice with clean dish towel and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then scoop rice onto a clean surface or wide bowl and spread out to cool slightly before handling.
- Thinly slice avocado and mango. When rice is cool enough to handle lather donut moulds with a bit of coconut oil. (I used a 6-cavity silicon donut mould for this).
- Scoop rice into donut moulds to fill. Then inverse mould onto a flat surface to remove donut shapes. (If your hands are sticking to the rice, wet hands with water and continue).
- Decorate each donut with avocado or mango. Serve with tamari to dip for the avocado sushi donuts. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk and agave. Serve as dip for the mango donuts.
My name is Hannah and I started this blog to bring you plant-based recipes worth sharing. My recipes are intended for everyone to enjoy; whether you’re vegan, or simply trying to incorporate more plants into your diet. See all recipes by Hannah