Strawberry Galette with Easy Flaky Pastry
A delicious strawberry dessert with an easy to prepare flaky pastry by Jade.
- 1 1/4 cups (156g/5.5oz) plain flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp (100g/3.5oz) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (60mL/2oz) ice cold water
Strawberry Vanilla Filling
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 punnets (500g/17oz) strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60ml/2oz) Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- MAKE DOUGH — Add flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter, pulse until small crumbs form then, with the food processor running, stream in the water and process only until a large ball forms.
- Scrape out dough (a rubber spatula is recommended) and quickly form into a small disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 1+ hours.
- PREPARE THE FILLING — Meanwhile, combine all of the filling ingredients, except the almond meal, in a bowl and set aside.
- CREATE THE GALETTE — After 1 hour, remove dough from the fridge and preheat oven to 200C/400F. Place dough between 2 sheets of baking paper, and carefully roll out to a rectangle. Remove the top sheet of baking paper, and place the dough (still on the bottom piece of baking paper) on a baking tray.
- Spread almond meal over the dough, leaving a 5cm/2in boarder and then pour the strawberry filling mix on top.
- Now, fold up the sides of the galette. The dough will be a little bit sticky, so use a small, sharp knife to peel the edge away from the baking paper. After you have folded over the first edge, rotate the galette, do another fold, and continue until you’re back to where you started. Brush the top crust in extra melted butter, olive oil or plant milk then sprinkle with raw sugar (optional).
- BAKE — Add galette to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn down to 175C/350F, then bake a further 30-35 mins. Serve immediately with vegan ice cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Kath & Jade created @panaceas_pantry to share their passion and to inspires others. They hope you enjoy their recipes. See all recipes by Kath and Jade