Spiced Apple and Rhubarb Pie
Thinking of what to make for dessert? You can’t go wrong with this spiced apple and rhubarb pie. You could even top it off with your favourite vegan ice-cream! Recipe by Emily.
- 5 green apples peeled and cored
- 5 sticks of rhubarb
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 cloves
- a splash of port or fortified wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 sheets dairy-free puff pastry
- 1/2 tsp icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Roughly chop the apple and rhubarb and add to a saucepan over medium heat and splash with Port or water. Add the lemon juice, sugar and spices then place the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes until the apple and rhubarb are soft and have soaked up the juice.
- Grease a ceramic or glass pie dish and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom, trimming the edges. Prep the other puff pastry sheet by cutting 2cm strips down the pastry with a very sharp knife until it is all evenly divided.
- Spoon in the mixture onto the pastry sheet in the dish and layer your first layer of pastry strips evenly down the mixture then repeat the process in the other direction forming a lattice.
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave then brush the pastry with the butter and sprinkle over the top with brown sugar.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the pastry starts to puff up and turn golden brown.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi, I'm Emily, a UK Vegan food blogger now living in Perth, Western Australia. I am a lover of all things healthy, vegan and cruelty free and have been vegan for almost 4 years. See all recipes by Emily