Smokey Carrot Salmon
This is the real deal! If you are a lover of "lox and a schmear" this recipe is a must try.
- 4 carrots
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of two lemons
- Vegan liquid smoke, to taste (start with a few drops, we ended up using 1 Tbsp)
- A handful of fresh dill sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: a sheet of nori or some kelp granules, and onion to garnish
- Preheat your oven to about 180°C / 355°F. Place a glass casserole dish under the grill to warm gently (or put some boiling water in to take the chill off).
- Peel the carrots – not just the skin! Take it off in layers to look like strips of salmon.
- Steam the carrot strips for 5 minutes until just tender, not too much or they’ll fall apart.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients in the warmed glass casserole dish (if you used boiling water, pour that out first!) Gently mix in the steamed carrot to coat with the smokey mix.
- Cover and bake for about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve- the longer the better.
- Serve with Tofutti cream cheese on freshly baked bagels.