Scrambled Tofu on Toasted Dark Rye
A delicious tofu scramble, golden in colour from the turmeric and nutritional yeast, with onion, tomato and baby spinach, all go together well on toasted dark rye bread.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 7 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 100g/3.5oz firm tofu (3/4 cup, crumbled)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 15g/0.5oz (2 Tbsp) nutritional yeast powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 50g/1.8oz red onion (abt 1/2 medium size)
- 150g/5.3oz tomato (1 medium-large size)
- 5ml/0.2oz (1 tsp) olive oil spray
- 20g/0.7oz baby spinach (a large handful)
- 2 slices dark rye bread
- 5g/0.2oz (1 tsp) vegan butter
- To taste: iodised salt, seasonings of choice
- Crumble the tofu and place in a bowl. Use a fork to mash the tofu. Add the turmeric, salt, chilli flakes and nutritional yeast. Mix well and set aside.
- Chop the onion and cube the tomato.
- Preheat a pan on medium-high. Add olive oil then sauté onion 3-4 minutes then add the tomato and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Turn off heat then add the spinach, mix until the spinach has wilted. Taste the scramble, adjust seasonings if needed.
- Toast and butter the bread then top with the tofu scramble and serve.
Note: If you prefer an ‘eggy’ flavour for your tofu scramble, use black salt (kala namak) instead of regular salt.
Macros – Carb: 46g Fat: 19g Prot: 35g Calories: 501
This recipe is part of the 7-day Wellbeing meal plan
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!