Red Lentil Spag Bol
Healthy and easy to make spaghetti Bolognese with red lentils, mushrooms, red capsicum (bell pepper), onion, zucchini, tomatoes and nutritional yeast. A flavoursome meal that's high in protein, fibre, iron and other nutrients.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 50g/1.8oz (1/4 cup) dry red lentils
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube (low sodium)
- 3/4 cup water
- 50g/1.8oz brown onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 100g/3.5oz mushrooms (1 1/4 cup, diced)
- 100g/3.5oz red capsicum/bell pepper (3/4 cup, diced)
- 50g/1.8oz zucchini (1/2 cup, diced)
- 35g (2 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 200g/7oz (3/4 cup) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 15g/0.5oz (4 Tbsp) nutritional yeast powder
- 100g/3.5oz wholemeal spaghetti (e.g. Macro Wholemeal Spaghetti)
- Optional: chopped herbs for garnish
- Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- Prep all the ingredients. Dice the onion, capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini, and rinse lentils in cold water, then drain.
- In a non-stick pot on medium-high heat dry sauté onion for a few minutes until they release their aroma. If your pot is not non-stick, sauté onion with a little bit of water.
- To the pot, add lentils with 3/4 cup of water and half a veg stock cube. Stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Mix well, bring to a boil uncovered over medium heat. Add the capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini and oregano, stir then reduce heat and allow to simmer with lid on for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat then add the nutritional yeast, mix well.
- Place the spaghetti in a bowl or plate then pour the Bolognese sauce on top. Garnish with some chopped herbs (optional) and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!