Red Lentil Curry with Broccoli & Rice
Appetizing red lentil curry cooked in light coconut milk and fresh tomatoes. A nourishing and flavourful recipe that's easy to make.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 50g/1.8oz (1/4 cup) brown rice
- 100g/3.5oz broccoli
- 50g/1.8oz (1/4 cup) dry red lentils
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g/1.8oz brown onion, (1/2 medium onion)
- 200g/7oz chopped tomato (2 medium size)
- 125ml/4.2oz (1/2 cup) liquid vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 190ml/6.4oz (3/4 cup) light coconut milk
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Optional: iodised salt, to taste
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions.
- Rinse the lentils in cold water. Chop onion, tomato and broccoli.
- In a non-stick saucepan add the onion and dry sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and any other optional seasonings to taste. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the liquid stock. Mix well. Add the lentils, bay leaf and chopped tomato stir well, reduce to low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 10 minutes then add the coconut milk, stir then simmer for another 10 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Stir in the broccoli, continue simmering for about 5 minutes until the curry looks creamy.
- Remove from heat, take out the bay leaf then serve over brown rice, topped with fresh coriander.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!