One-Pot Red Lentil & Bean Chilli
A healthy, hearty one-pot meal made with veggies, red lentils and beans, flavoured with herbs and spices.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 50g/1.8oz (1/4 cup) dry red lentils
- 125ml/4.2oz (1/2 cup) liquid vegetable stock (low sodium) [or 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder with 1/2 cup water]
- 50g/1.8oz brown onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 75g/2.6oz carrot (1 small-medium carrot)
- 50g/1.8oz zucchini (1/2 cup, diced)
- 200g/7oz (3/4 cup) canned diced tomatoes
- 100g/3.5oz black beans (1/2 heaped cup, rinsed & drained)
- 100g/3.5oz red kidney beans (1/2 heaped cup, rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- Optional: other seasonings of choice (e.g. iodised salt, dried oregano)
- Chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
For a stovetop:
- Rinse the lentils in cold water. Chop onion, carrot, zucchini, and rinse and drain the beans.
- In a non-stick pot add the onion, carrot, and zucchini and dry sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add seasonings. Stir for about 30 seconds. Then add the liquid stock. Mix well. Stir in the lentils, diced tomatoes, and beans. Reduce to low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat, squeeze some lemon juice on top then serve in a bowl garnished with fresh coriander.
For a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot:
- Turn the Instant Pot/pressure cooker on Sauté mode then add the chopped onion, carrot, and zucchini and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasonings and stir. Increase the liquid stock to 3/4 cup and add it in, along with the lentils, diced tomatoes, and beans. Mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on ‘manual’ for 10 minutes. Allow to warm for another 5 minutes then release the pressure. Serve the chilli in a bowl with fresh coriander.
Macros – Carb: 68g Fat: 4g Prot: 33g Calories: 440
This recipe is part of the 7-day Endurance meal plan
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
LunchMexicanGluten FreeSugar FreeLow Fat
Absolutely full of taste. Even my look down their noses at vegans, couldnt fault this one :)