Olive Oil Lemon Cake
“Homemade Italian cakes are often simple and plain - perfect to enjoy any time of the day, especially breakfast! This version uses olive oil to create a moist cake and uses only a few pantry staples. And, better yet, no eggs required. If you would prefer a neutral flavoured oil, replace the olive oil with light olive oil, sunflower or rice bran oil. This is my go-to cake and I hope it can be yours too.” ~ Nadia
SERVES 8 | 45 MINUTES + COOLING
- 1 cup soy milk
- ½ cup olive oil (or sunflower or rice bran oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup sugar
- icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Grease a cake tin. I use a springform 20 x 6cm round tin.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, bicarb soda and stir through the sugar. Into another large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients, a little at a time and stir until thoroughly combined. Be careful not to over mix. If the mix is a little dry, add a dash or so more milk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean (especially checking the middle of the cake).
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin and then transfer onto a cake rack to cool further.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar.
COOKING TIP: If you’re looking to snazzy up this cake, grab 1 cup of your favourite diced fruit (I recommend berries – fresh or frozen) and fold through the cake batter before baking. You may need to increase the baking time if adding fruit.
Olive Oil Lemon Cake
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Nadia is a cookbook author, recipe creator, presenter and vegan Italian expert. She has been creating vegan recipes since 2001 and loves to share her passion for recreating Italian classics through her blog The Vegan Italian Kitchen and her recent cookbook Discovering Vegan Italian. See all recipes by Nadia