Mixed Berry Galettes with Chantilly Cream
These galettes come out so nice and flakey and full of berry flavor. The perfect vehicle for as much Chantilly cream as your heart desires.
For Pie Dough:
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp All purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Stick Earth Balance Buttery Spread cut into cubes (or 125g Vegan Margarine)
- 1/2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Ice Water, more as needed
For Berry Chia Jam:
- 2 Cups Frozen Berries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsp Chia Seeds
For Chantilly Cream:
- 1 Can Coconut Cream (or 2 cans of full fat coconut milk that is been in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp of the liquid remaining in the cans as needed to whisk the cream
- Pie dough: Cube cold Earth Balance into approximately 1/4” pieces then place it back into the refrigerator.
- Into a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Combine vinegar with the ice water. Place your earth balance cubes into the flour, separating the cubes. Using two forks (or a pastry cutter) cut the earth balance cubes into the flour until the earth balance is the size of small peas.
- Pour 1/4 cup of ice water into your flour and earth balance mixture, tossing with just one fork to combine. Add an additional tablespoon of water if you still have dusty spots.
- The mixture should look shaggy but moist. Using your hangs, form the dough into a disk, place into a Tupperware container fitted with a tight id and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile make your chia jam. Into a small pot over low heat, place frozen fruit.
- As the fruit defrosts, mash it with a wooden spoon. Once the fruit is defrosted and has released their juices, add the granulated sugar. Let the mixture simmer for about 6-7 minuets to let some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Put jam into a container and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- To assemble the Galette: Preheat oven to 400* Fahrenheit. Slice 6- 8 strawberries, and get a small bowl with a little bit of water in it and set aside.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface until its about 1/16-1/8 of and inch thick. Cut 4” circles using a large cookie or biscuit cutter.
- If you don’t have a large enough cutter, you can use the top of a bowl and a paring knife. Place the circles on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dip your finger in water and moisten the outer edge of all of the circles. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chia jam in the center of each circle, spreading the jam out a bit, but leaving about 1/2 inch boarder.
- Top the jam with strawberry slices, overlapping in a circular pattern. Fold the dough up and onto itself, crimping 4-6 times. Sprinkle the galettes with a bit of granulated sugar.
- Bake the galettes in a 400* F oven for 26-32 minutes or until the pie crust is nicely browned on the bottom.
- For the Chantilly Cream: Remove from the fridge and open the can. The cream will have risen to the top and will be form.
- Scoop just the cream from the top of the can into a bowl. Break the cream up with a whisk adding a bit of the water from the bottom of the can as needed to help smooth out the cream- I used about 2 tablespoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and whisk until light.
- Top galettes with the Chantilly cream upon serving. Enjoy!
I'm Megan. I'm a professionally trained pastry chef, recipe developer, outdoor enthusiast and animal lover. See all recipes by Megan