Italian-Style Vegan Hot Chocolate
A seriously RICH dessert-meets-hot-drink which is a perfect antidote to cold winter evenings. Chocolate makes everything better! Recipe by Liz.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins
- 500ml soy milk (full-fat)
- 50g vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grate 2 squares of chocolate. Set aside.
- Break remaining chocolate into individual squares.
- In a small saucepan, heat 50ml of soy milk over low temperature.
- Once the milk is hot, add golden syrup, cacao powder, 8 squares of chocolate and vanilla (if using). Stir with a whisk or wooden spoon until combined.
- Gradually add the remainder of milk, being careful to add only a small amount at a time and to combine completely before adding more. This is important, as if you add too much too quickly, the mixture will split.
- Continue to heat, stirring constantly for another 3-5 minutes, until desired temperature is reached.
- Remove from heat, add 1/4 cup coconut cream and stir until combined.
- Serve immediately, top with coconut cream and grated chocolate.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
My name’s Liz! I’m a food blogger based in Melbourne, Australia. I went vegan in August 2019 and it sparked a love of exploratory cooking. I started sharing what I was eating on Instagram, and found an opportunity to make simple plant-based recipes that fit into a busy lifestyle.
See all recipes by Liz