Hearty Seitan & Veggie Soup
Seitan makes for a high-protein meal and this savoury soup is loaded with extra goodness from the veggies and beans.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 100g/3.5oz (1 cup) shredded seitan, use homemade or store-bought (e.g. Suzy Spoon’s or Meet Co)
- 250ml/8.5oz (1 cup) liquid vegetable stock (reduced salt)
- 100g/3.5oz (3/4 cup, chopped) celery
- 100g/3.5oz (3/4 cup, chopped) carrot
- 50g/1.8oz (1/2 cup, chopped) green beans
- 5g/0.2oz garlic, finely chopped (1 or 2 cloves)
- 50g/1.8oz (1/3 cup, diced) brown onion
- 120g/4.2oz (2/3 cup) cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder
- Seasonings of choice, to taste
- Optional: add extra water when cooking to achieve desired soup consistency
- 1 slice of dark rye bread, toasted
- Optional: 10g/0.4oz (1/2 Tbsp) vegan butter/margarine
- Prepare all your veggies and set aside. If using frozen store-bought seitan, heat it in a pan as per packet instructions then set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pot and dry sauté onion on medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots, celery, green beans, shredded seitan, thyme, paprika, other seasonings of choice, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add the cannellini beans, bay leaf, and liquid stock. Stir, bring to the boil then simmer with lid on for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, take out the bay leaf and serve with toasted bread.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!