Easy Peasy Risotto
Italian-inspired, creamy veggie risotto! We present you with three different methods to cook the risotto, depending on what equipment you have at home.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into approx 1cm cubes (less than half an inch)
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup silverbeet, chopped
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch mixed dried herbs
- vegan Parmesan (to make your own, see recipe from day 5)
- a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Dissolve the stock powder in the boiled water.
- If using a microwave:
- Place all the ingredients in a microwave rice cooker.
- Microwave on high for about 10 minutes, then stir, put back in the microwave and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- If you have an electric pressure cooker, like an Instant Pot:
- Set your pressure cooker to the sauté mode. Add a teaspoon of olive oil (or use water if oil free) and sauté the pumpkin, peas, chickpeas and dried herbs for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the arborio rice and the crushed tomatoes and mix well to coat the rice. Cook the rice for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the stock water and the silverbeet. Combine well, cancel sauté, then close the lid, and choose the risotto mode to cook.
- If using a stovetop:
- In a saucepan, add a teaspoon of olive oil (or use water if oil free) and roast the arborio rice for about a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of the stock water, pumpkin and crushed tomatoes, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently. Try to keep the risotto simmering but not boiling.
- Add another 1/2 cup of the stock water plus the frozen peas and stir continuously for 4-6 minutes. Then add the remaining 1/2 a cup stock water and keep stirring until the rice is al dente.
- Just before removing from the heat add in the silverbeet, chickpeas and herbs. Combine well then remove from heat.
- Prepare the risotto for serving by sprinkling with vegan parmesan, sunflower seeds and optional parsley.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!