Detox Green Soup
This is a delicious, warming soup that's packed with vegetables and makes a healthy, light, balanced meal if you add a serve of wholegrain carbohydrate to it (e.g. cooked brown rice, quinoa, or potato). It's packed with protein from the beans and they make it lovely and thick. *For the photo I've served it with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, gomashio (a Japanese blend of salt and sesame seeds), flat leaf parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Lucy's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1v8m90i
- 2x 425g/15oz (2.5 cups in total) tins of cannellini beans (or any other white beans) 2.5 cups)
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 6 cups diced zucchini (1kg / 35oz)
- 1L water + 2x vegan sodium-reduced stock cubes (or 1L of sodium-reduced vegan stock)
- optional olive oil for sautéing the vegetables (you could use some of the water or stock if you’re avoiding vegetable oils)
1. In a large saucepan, heat up a little oil or stock, add the leeks and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the leeks have softened.
2. Add the celery and cook (while stirring) until soft.
3. Add the zucchini, potato, 1L of water + stock cubes (or stock) and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes).
5. Remove from the heat, stir through the cannellini beans and when it has cooled down a little, process with a stick mixer or in a blender until smooth.
6. Serve with fresh herbs (parsley works well), a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and a little salt and pepper.