Creamy Vegan Elotes
Juicy chunks of fried corn in a full-flavoured creamy and ‘cheesy’ sauce made with onions, garlic, chilli, and lime. The addition of miso adds a tantalising depth of flavour, while the nutritional yeast makes it so cheesy and delicious. You might want to double this recipe!
- 2 corn cobs, kernels cut off, and core removed (see recipe notes)
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp shiro miso paste
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coriander leaves
- Fresh chilli, finely sliced
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the corn kernels for later. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil and the rest of the corn kernels.
- Sautee the corn for approximately 5 minutes, or until they are browning on the sides. Scoop the cooked kernels into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan used to cook the corn, add the onions and saute for 3 minutes until starting to soften, then add the garlic and the reserved 1/2 cup of uncooked corn. Saute for another 3-5 minutes until onions and kernels are beginning to brown (add 1/3 cup water to the pan while cooking if it is drying out).
- Once cooked, add the vegetable stock to the pan to deglaze, and then immediately remove the pan from the heat, leaving the mixture in the hot pan for a few minutes while preparing the sauce.
- In a food processor or blender bowl, add the miso paste, nutritional yeast, lime juice, mayonnaise, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and a generous pinch of salt. Add the onion and corn mixture from the pan and blend well until smooth and creamy.
- Add the reserved whole corn kernels into the sauce and stir.
- Serve the elotes warm in small cups or bowls garnished with coriander and fresh chilli.
Use the corn cobs to make homemade veggie stock.
The spice level of this recipe is very mild. Add more cayenne, chilli powder, or fresh chilli for a spicier version.
Use this recipe to make Elotes Pot Pies.
You can make this recipe ahead of time. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I'm Silvo, and this is my beat: a creative collection of plant-based, whole food recipes that are drool-worthy, healthy, and simple to make. See all recipes by Silvobeat