Creamy Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup without the cream! Best served with fresh crunchy seed bread.
- 600g / 21oz button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Ground paprika, for garnish
1. Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and two tablespoons of vegetable stock and stir. Water saute the onions, adding small of amounts of veggie stock when needed to prevent sticking, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add a little veggie stock if need, but the mushroom will add enough liquid you will probably not need to do this. Raise heat to high and cook for five minutes stirring often.
2. Add 4 cups of vegetable stock, dried thyme and all purpose seasoning to pot and stir. Cover and simmer on low-heat for 15 minutes.
3. In a food processor or high-powered blender, puree soaked cashews (drained of water) and 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice. Add 1 cup of soup and puree until smooth and creamy. Set aside in a bowl.
4. Ladle soup into blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return soup to pot and keep on low heat.
5. Slowly whisk blended cashews into soup pot.
6. In a small bowl, add one tablespoon of flour. Whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable stock until smooth. Slowly whisk into soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until desired thickness.
7. Remove from heat and season with freshly ground pepper, to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with ground paprika and fresh chopped parsley.