Chili Sauce Tofu and Broccoli
Crispy pan-fried tofu and tender broccoli coated in a spicy chili sauce. Serve with rice for a quick & easy healthy plant-based meal!
- 14 oz block firm tofu pressed
- 1 small head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 ½ tbsp ginger minced
- 1-2 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- ½ cup kombu dashi or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for cooking
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press the tofu to get rid of excess water. Pat dry and cut to desired size/shape. Heat half of the cooking oil in a pan. Fry tofu until crisp and golden on all sides, turning as needed. Remove from pan and set aside when done.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until crisp-tender. You will be cooking it a bit more in the sauce later, so you don’t want it to be too soft yet. Set aside.
- Mix together corn starch and water to make a slurry and set aside.
- Prepare the chili sauce by combining remaining cooking oil, garlic, ginger, chili bean sauce, and ketchup in the pan over low heat. Add in a little water as needed to thin the sauce. Stir constantly.
- Once fragrant, add in dashi, sake, and sugar. Simmer for a few minutes, then add tofu, broccoli, and green onions. Stir to coat. Give the corn starch slurry a quick mix and add to the pan. Continue stirring until the sauce has thickened, then turn off the heat.
- Taste and add salt/pepper if needed. Drizzle sesame oil and rice vinegar on top. Serve with steaming white rice.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hello friends! Welcome to Ellie Likes Cooking. I’m so happy you stumbled upon my little creative space on the internet See all recipes by Ellie