Chai Tea Spice Cake
The perfect comfort cake for when you are trapped inside on a cold rainy winter day!
Serves 12 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 45 mins
- 300g/10.5oz wholewheat flour
- 75g/2.6oz rice flour
- 4 flax eggs (for 1 egg mix 1 Tbsp of flax meal with 2 1/2 Tbsp of water)
- 450g/15.8oz grated apples
- 150g/5.3oz coconut oil
- 200g/7oz raw brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp grounded star anise
- 1 tsp black tea
- A pinch of salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g/1.7oz hazelnuts
- 50g/1.7oz walnuts
- In a blender mix the oil with the sugar, the ginger and the lemon zest. Add the flax eggs and give it another mix.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients except for the nuts.
- Simmer the tea in 1/2 cup of boiling water and let it cool down.
- Add the apples to the oil mixture and give it a stir.
- Pour the cooled tea in and add the dry ingredients, the nuts and the lemon juice.
- Bake at 180C/356F for 40/45 minutes in a greased baking pan.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I had no idea how much of a positive impact it would have on my life and most of all on the planet, and how nourished my body would feel. See all recipes by Francesca