Chai Cinnamon Rolls
These vegan cinnamon rolls are filled with all the flavors of a perfect cup of chai!
- 1 cup chai latte (chai tea brewed with dairy-free milk), warm to the touch
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar + 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups all purpose flour, gluten-free if needed + 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons chai latte (chai tea brewed with dairy-free milk)
- Heat chai latte until warm to the touch, not too hot.
- Add yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar to warmed chai latte. Let sit for 15 minutes until yeast mixture becomes foamy.
- Once foamy, whisk in 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add up to an additional cup of flour to form a dough slightly sticky to touch, but not sticking to your hands. (You likely will not need to add all of the flour)
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes by hand or using a mixer.
- Form dough into a ball and cover with a hand towel. Let rest for 30 minutes, the dough ball should grow in size.
- While the dough rises, grease a 9″ round or square pan and prepare the filling.
- Add cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt to a separate bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat coconut oil to soften until spreadable (do not melt).
- When the dough has finished resting, flour a clean surface and roll the dough out into an 11″ by 14″ rectangle.
- Spread softened coconut oil over the dough rectangle, leaving about 1/2″ on one of the longer ends clean.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the coconut oil.
- Roll the dough from the longer side with oil/filling to the longer clean side. Use a little water to help the clean dough stick and seal to the roll.
- Cut the dough roll into 9 even pieces and place in the oiled 9″ pan, swirls facing up.
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Gently cover the rolls with a hand towel and let rise another 15 minutes.
- Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Mix icing sugar with chai latte. Start with 1 tablespoon of liquid and add more until the desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle baked cinnamon rolls with icing.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Sarah Aagesen is a health + wellness content creator. She works with brands to develop original content through custom writing, photography, and graphic design. See all recipes by Sarah