Cashew Korma with Brown Rice
This cashew and coconut based sauce makes for a thick and creamy curry.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 tsp canola oil or other neutral oil (optional)
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup green beans or peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (1/3 cup uncooked brown rice)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup diced tomato (fresh or canned)
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 1 clove, sliced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder (or more, to taste)
- Cook the rice ahead of time. For instructions, see our Day 2 dinner recipe.
- For the sauce:
- Soak the cashew nuts in coconut milk for a few hours or overnight. (If you don’t have time to do this, place the raw cashews in a bowl, pour boiled water on them, let them soak for 15 minutes, then drain the water).
- In a blender, add the soaked cashews, coconut milk and other sauce ingredients and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil (or use a little water if not using oil) in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the carrots and cauliflower and fry for a few minutes then add the green beans (or peas).
- Pour over the sauce and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat. Simmer until the vegetables are soft, adding more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with brown rice sprinkled with some additional chopped cashews and fresh herbs of your choice (optional).
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!