Braised Eggplant and Tempeh
Braised Eggplant and Tempeh, served w long grain rice. This is savoury sweet dish that goes well w rice or rice noodles.
- 2 cups of eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup tempeh, cubed
- olive oil for frying
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy)
- 2 tsp red miso paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- sesame seeds and spring onion, to serve
- On medium-high heat, fry the eggplant with olive oil until golden, and set aside. Repeat with tempeh cubes and set aside [alternatively, you can bake the tempeh].
- Combine the cornstarch + water and set aside. In the same pan, combine brown sugar, mirin, soy sauce, miso, five spice, kecap manis, garlic + chilli powder and mix well over high heat.
- Once the sauce is simmering, slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry and continue to stir on medium-high heat until slightly thickened.
- Add eggplant + tempeh back into the pan and mix well with the sauce. Remove from heat and garnish w spring onion + sesame [optional].
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles – enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hey, I'm Joanne. I'm a student dietitian from Sydney, Australia. Having previously studied food science and human nutrition, I am always interested in the culture, social aspects, development and nutritional science of food.
See all recipes by Joanne