Beer Battered Tofish and Chips
This incredible Beer Battered Tofu Fish and Chips by the talented Aaron Calder is sure to hit the spot!
- 1 400g packet Firm Tofu
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Chickpea Flour
- 1.5 cups chilled Beer or Soda Water
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce (4 ounces)
- 1 sheet of Nori (Sushi Seaweed)
- Vegetable oil
- Drain and press the tofu. Its important to get most of the water out. Once drained cut corner to corner to get two triangles.
- Now slice the in half so you have four triangles. Pour the soy sauce in a bowl and dip in the tofu triangles.
- Allow to marinate while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl add the flours, salt, garlic and baking powder. Mix together with a fork or hand whisk.
- Pour in the beer and whisk until you have a thick batter. You want the batter to be thick enough to stick to the tofu. If it’s too thin add a little more flour and whisk again. Set aside.
- Quarter fill a frying pan with oil and turn the heat up to full. Deep fat frying can be dangerous so do not leave the pan unattended.
- Prepare the tofu while the oil heats up.
- Remove the tofu from the soy sauce and place on the nori sheet. The seaweed gives the tofu a fishy taste and is like the skin on real fish.
- Using a sharp knife or scissors cut around the tofu so the nori sits on one side. Do this with all four pieces.
- After a few minutes the oil will start to bubble.Drop a small bit of batter into the oil to check the heat. It should bubble, go golden brown and crispy. When it does this your oil is ready.
- Keeping the nori sheet on top put the tofu in the batter and cover. Gently drop into the oil and do the same with the rest of the tofu.
- Let it fry for 3 minutes then flip over & cook the other side for a minute or two. Place the tofish on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve immediately with a slice of Lemon, Hot Chips, Peas and Vegan Tartare Sauce.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!