Beer Battered Silken Tofu with Hand Cut Fries & Green Salad
I guess this is my version of fish and chips. I’m not a huge fan of the fake fish that is available at some pubs – but ultimately I think it was the batter that I always liked the most anyway. Salty citrus dipping sauce is an essential part of this dish – how salty you make it is up to you. Kristin & Ben's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1FqJq2G
- 400gm/14oz Silken Tofu cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 250gm/9oz self-raising flour
- 250ml vegan beer
- 1 cucumber
- Handful of green beans
- Lettuce leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Dash of English mustard
- 2 large potatoes – cut into thick size
1. Cut chips to size and add to deep fryer (or pot of boiling oil – we use rice bran oil). Only half cook the chips, drain and place in fridge to cool.
2.Make salad and dressing – set aside Cut tofu and coat in cornflour.
3. Add beer to flour and whisk until a smooth consistency. Coat tofu in batter and add to deep fryer (or pot) – do in two batches and cook to about 90%. Drain and set aside.
5. Remove potatoes from fridge and cook to completion.Add tofu back to fryer and finish cooking.Serve immediately
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!