BBQ Black Bean Burgers with Harissa Mayo
What better way to show plant based goodness at its best than with some big juicy bean burgers!
- 1 tin black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 & 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup milled flax seeds
- 1 medium red onion (roughly chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp dried sage
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Additional 1 cup milled flax seeds (for coating)
- A few tsps oil for frying
- 1 jar Sacla vegan free-from mayo (or vegan mayo of your choice)
- 1 tsp dried harissa sesasoning or harissa paste
OR You can also make your own harissa paste by mixing
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic power
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- A pinch of ground cumin and ground coriander
- 5-6 vegan burger buns
- 3 fresh tomatoes (sliced)
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 390°F if not using a Barbecue.
- Saute the red onion and garlic in a frying pan until golden brown. No need to use any oil here, just add a little bit of water as needed.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and allow them to brown.
- Next add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomato puree, cayenne pepper, mixed herbs and sage to the pan. Allow them to cook off for a minute or so whilst continuing to stir the ingredients in the pan to prevent them sticking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the sauteed mixture to a high speed food processor along with the black beans, buckwheat flour, sun-dried tomatoes, ground pepper, onion powder and 1 cup milled flax seeds.
- Blitz until the mixture is smooth without lumps. Add salt to taste and blend well.
- Separate the mixture into 5 or 6 even amounts and flatten them into burger patty shapes.
- Coat the burger patties in the milled flax seeds, ensuring that the entire surface has an even coating.
- Heat a tsp of rapeseed oil in a clean frying pan and add the burgers one by one, allowing them to lightly brown on both sides.
- Finish the burgers off on the BBQ until browned and heated throughout. If you aren’t using a BBQ place the burgers on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Simply mix the harissa seasoning and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Dress the burgers with lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and serve with a dollop of harissa mayo.
* TIP: You can make these burgers a day or two in advance. Once you have fried them off in the pan, allow them to cool and transfer to an airtight container in your fridge. Then finish them off in the oven/bbq before serving. They can also be frozen and cooking time will need to be increased accordingly.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
There is a misconception that veganism is difficult or restrictive; I used to feel that way as well before I researched the lifestyle. My aim with the blog is to give people the tools they need to create delicious vegan food that they can share with their friends, work colleagues and family. See all recipes by Christina