Basil Tempeh Lentil Salad with Pumpkin
A simple and nutritious salad, packed with assorted textures and flavours from the earthy lentils and kale, nutty tempeh, fragrant basil and pine nuts, the sweetness of the pumpkin to the freshness of the cherry tomatoes. A tasty and filling dish indeed!
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 150g/5.3oz tempeh (1 heaped cup, cubed)
- 35g/1.2oz (2 Tbsp) tamari sauce
- 10g/0.35oz (1 Tbsp) pine nuts
- 100g/3.5oz canned brown lentils (2/3 cup, rinsed & drained)
- 30g/1oz fresh sweet basil (1/2 cup, finely chopped)
- 100g/3.5oz cherry tomatoes (2/3 cup, halved)
- 100g/3.5oz butternut pumpkin (abt 1 cup, cubed)
- 150g/5.3oz kale (4 cups, roughly chopped)
- 1 lemon wedge, to serve
- Cut tempeh into cubes and marinate by placing in a shallow bowl and adding 1 tablespoon of tamari sauce. Mix and set aside.
- Prep all veggies: cut pumpkin in bite size cubes, halve cherry tomatoes, destem and roughly chop kale, finely chop basil, and rinse and drain lentils.
- Steam or boil the pumpkin for approx. 10 minutes until tender.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, in a non-stick pan on a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of water and the kale. Optional: season with some iodised salt. Cook for 3 to 4 mins or until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan on a low heat, toast the pine nuts until light brown and then add the lentils and basil. Sauté for 3 to 4 mins or until the lentils are heated through and fragrantly coated in the basil. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan on a medium heat cook the tempeh for approx. 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Assemble the salad by adding the kale, the basil lentils, pumpkin and tempeh to a bowl and topping with the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
Macros – Carb: 39g Fat: 18g Prot: 40g Calories: 478
This recipe is part of the 7-day Wellbeing meal plan
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
LunchSaladsOtherGluten FreeLow Fat
This is a wonderful dish.
The basil gives it such a lift and the marinated tempeh adds salty umame.
Love that umami taste :) We’re glad you enjoyed the recipe.