Baked Vegan Breakfast Samosas
"These baked vegan breakfast samosas are not traditional in the slightest but we are taking some of those traditional ingredients while adding our own breakfast-y spin. I’ve added mashed potato, peas, a spiced tofu scramble, and breakfast sausage. It’s like a classic tofu scramble and potato hash breakfast but with a fun twist. You gotta try it!" ~ Liv
MAKES 8 Servings | 60 MINUTES
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 Gold Potato, mashed
- 1/3 cup Yellow Onion
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3-4 tbsp of Water
- 1/4 of a Block of Firm Tofu
- 2 Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1/4 cup of Peas
- 2-3 tbsp of Cilantro, optional
- Salt, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Oil, for brushing on before baking
Make the Filling:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Peel and dice the potato. Boil until fork tender, about 7-10 minutes depending on how big or small you diced it. Drain the water and roughly mash the potato using a fork or a potato masher. Set aside.
- Minced 1/3 cup of yellow onion, 1-2 garlic cloves, and prepare your spices. Cook the onion on medium-high heat for about 7 minutes or until it becomes soft and is starting to brown.
- Turn heat to medium and add the minced garlic, garam masala, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, coriander, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in a healthy pinch of salt and 3-4 tbsps of water. Then, crumble in the tofu. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes until it starts to brown. Toss occasionally. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Crumble the vegan sausage and toss in a pan with a touch of oil on medium-high heat until nicely browned. Add in the peas and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the mashed potato, tofu, sausage & peas, and cilantro. Toss until well combined and sprinkle on salt to taste. Set aside.
Make the Dough:
- Whisk together the All Purpose Flour, Salt, and Baking Soda. Add in oil and water. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula then bring the dough in to a smooth ball using your hands. Cover with a dish towel and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Divide the dough in to 4 pieces and roll each into a ball. Roll out each piece into an oval shape as thin as you can. Cut each in half to resemble the letter D.
- To fill each samosa, lightly brush the edges of each piece with water. Starting at the flat side, fold in towards the top. Continue to stretch the dough with your hands to create what resembles an ice cream cone out of the dough.
- Fill the dough with about 2 tbsps of filling. Stuff in the filling using your hands or the back of the tablespoon. Lightly brush the open part with water and seal the samosa shut. Shape the samosa with your hands until you are happy. Set aside and continue until you have 8 samosas.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush each samosa with vegetable oil on all sides. *This is very important, do not skip.
- Bake the samosas for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with sauce of choice and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi! My name is Liv and I'm the creator of Liv Vegan Strong. I'm 23 years old and currently live in New York City. I went vegan almost 10 years ago and had absolutely no idea what I was doing or where to begin. See all recipes by Liv