Baked Scallion (Green Onion) Bread
WoonHeng’s Baked Scallion Bread is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. You’ve gotta try it! There’s also a recipe video of it that shows how easy it is to make. Click here to watch.
MAKES 4 Servings | Prep: 10 min | Dough Proofing: 45 min | Cooking Time: 30 min
- 245g bread/all-purpose/spelt flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- melted vegan butter for brushing
- sesame seeds as toppings
Scallion (Green Onion) Mixture
- 10 stalks of scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of oil
Make the dough
- In a measuring cup, mix sugar and yeast in warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast is foamy.
- Place flour, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment.
- Add in the yeast mixture and knead into a shaggy dough or until there are no dry spots of flour in the bowl.
- Add in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and knead again until incorporated. Cover and let the dough rise until double its size.
Prepare the Scallion mixture
- Meanwhile, place chopped scallions in a bowl along with the flour and salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pot until bubbles form around the chopsticks (about 160F).
- Quickly pour it into the scallion mixture, then mix to combine and divide it into 3 parts. Set aside until ready to use.
How to shape the bread
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a baking sheet pan.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it onto a cleaned surface and divide it into 4 equal portions.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each one into a 10″ circle and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread with a portion of filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border all around. Top it with the second circle and repeat the same step and end with the last layer of dough.
- To shape the dough, place a small round saucer (~3″diameter) in the middle as a guide.
- Using the clock mark as reference, cut through the dough from the edge of the saucer to the end of the dough circle leaving the dough underneath the saucer uncut to make 16 equal wedges.
- Remove the saucer. Lift two wedges next to each other and twist away from each other 3 times then pinch the edges tightly to seal so you’ll get a pointy end. Repeat until you get 8 combined petals.
Bake the bread
- Brush the dough with melted vegan butter and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the middle of the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 27 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush more melted butter once you take out from the oven for a crispier and more buttery crust. Serve warm.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!